Saturday, February 28, 2015

Second Pregnancy Update: 18 Weeks - It's A...

18 Weeks, and new clothes from my Nana!
No fatigue, food aversions, cravings, or nausea to report on this week!

A Few Thoughts
I had a post-op appointment with my perinatologist on Wednesday. G remarked that the days leading up to it seemed to drag by, and it's probably because we were so excited about this particular appointment. While I had been convinced that this baby was a girl for a long time, as the day drew near I felt less confident. Wednesday arrived, and I had no "mommy vibes" leaning in either direction, and I had reached a place emotionally where I was just as eager for a boy as I was for a girl.

The ultrasound technician checked the cerclage stitches, then moved on to examine the baby. Although this wasn't the visit for the full anatomy examination, she spent a lot of time looking at each part of baby's body to make sure everything was progressing normally. I mentioned that the perinatologist said we could try and find out the sex, and she said she would do her best (though it was really up to baby whether or not we found anything out). When the time came, baby was very obliging, and the technician told us we were having a girl.

Profile (it wasn't very clear because of her angle, and because
she was wiggling a lot.
First foot.
Second foot.
Side view (sort of - she was laying in a weird position).
A girl! It's another girl!

Immediately this sense of peace and overwhelming gratitude toward God washed over me. I just laid there staring at our baby on the screen, feeling humbled. God was restoring in a special way what was lost to us last year (though I never really felt that Addie had been "lost" at all). There was also this strange sense of de-ja-vu as I remembered a similar ultrasound appointment with a different doctor not so long ago when we were also told we were having a girl. It was a sweet moment for me and G.

This baby girl in no way replaces Adelyn, but there is a unique feeling of fulfillment that accompanies this wonderful news. Addie's time is over and her purpose was fulfilled, but God has plans for this little one are yet to be known. I'm excited to see what He has in store for her! Whether she lives a long life, or whether her days with us are brief, I believe that she will bring glory to God and point others to Christ just like her big sister did.

On a funnier note, I used to be baffled by other parents who would get their children's names mixed up. I thought, "How can it be so difficult to remember their own child's name?" Well interestingly enough, I have already called this baby "Addie" a few times, even though she has her own (secret) name! It may sound sad, but G and I found it to be very humorous! Though we have decided not to reveal her name before she's born (just like with Addie), it has already proven to be a challenging task. I have come dangerously close to blurting it out accidentally many times, so we'll see how long I can make it without spilling the beans!

"Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them. Glorious and majestic are his deeds, and his righteousness endures forever. He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and compassionate." -Psalm 111:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment