Saturday, May 16, 2015

Second Pregnancy Update: 29 Weeks

29 Weeks!
This is my last week in the 20's!

Pregnancy Symptoms
Tessa's definitely gotten a lot stronger over the last week, because sometimes her movements can be a little bit painful. It's nothing major, but it hurts if she stretches underneath one of my round ligaments! Rather than one or two jabs or kicks, it often feels more like a flurry of movement as if she's break dancing or letting loose on a punching bag. I can also tell that she's growing, because my abdomen feels like it has no room whatsoever. If I sit down, lean forward, or roll over, it's very difficult because there's a baby in there that is blocking my movement. I don't mind it at all, but it does contribute to me feeling very large already (and if all goes well, I still have a little ways to go)!

Sleep has been a little better since my last update, though I've yet to have a night in which I didn't wake up and have to go to the bathroom. Fortunately, I've been able to go right back to sleep. There were one or two restless nights, but nothing significant aside from that. Tessa has had a lot of hiccups this week as well (often during the night), which is still really cute. Last night, not long after we had gone to bed, she moved in such a way that tickled me and made me laugh. You know you're ticklish when you can get tickled by your unborn baby. From the inside. Yep, that's me.

A Few Thoughts
The appointment with my OB went very well on Thursday. My glucose test results were normal, so I don't need any further testing for gestational diabetes. Thank you to everyone who prayed about this with us! I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to think about that any further, and now I don't. We discussed my reaction to the progesterone, and my OB suggested I call the perinatologist about it. I also asked about the process of having her approve my birth plan, and she said I could just print it out and bring it into a future appointment for her to look over and discuss with me. What my OB will approve when Tessa decides to arrive is largely dependent on whether or not I test positive for GBS (which I believe I will be tested for at 34 weeks), so we're hoping and praying that the test will come back negative.

I spoke with my perinatologist yesterday on the phone, and after hearing the details of my reaction he decided to discontinue the weekly progesterone shots and give me a different type of progesterone that I would need to take nightly instead. He doesn't believe that I will experience any negative reactions to it, and I'm sure we'll discuss it in detail at my appointment on Thursday. I should be able to pick up the new progesterone either today or Monday at the latest. It's not really a big deal, since I'll only have to take it for 6ish more weeks anyway.

Let me take a minute to say how impressed I have been with our insurance company. They have a free service for their pregnant customers that pairs them with a registered nurse who will call every few weeks to see how things are going with the pregnancy. Tracy, the nurse assigned to me, started calling sometime before I entered the second trimester. She told me that if I wasn't sure about something my OB said in my appointments or I wanted more clarification, she would be able to answer any questions I had. She also said that I would be able to use her as a sounding board for whatever I was thinking and feeling regarding the pregnancy, my doctors, or any medical procedures they might want to perform. Since my OB and perinatologist would be able to answer any of my questions and discuss any concerns I might have, I didn't think that I would need this service. To my surprise, Tracy's phone calls have been a huge help! She is very kind and understanding, and I never feel like she's rushing our conversations. I occasionally want a second opinion about things my OB has suggested, and she has proven to be invaluable in those moments. There were a few times that I disagreed with my OB about the necessity of certain procedures, and Tracy was able to give me resources that would guide me to the information I needed in order to make a wise decision. She has also affirmed my decisions after I've made up my mind and has encouraged me if I felt stressed or emotionally overwhelmed. I really feel like she listens to and understands my concerns, and that means the world to me. I thank God for Tracy, and for all of the other fantastic people He has brought my way during this time of my life!

Last week was a big milestone in this pregnancy, and the next milestone will be making it to 32 weeks. Hang in there, Baby Girl! Thank you again for all of your prayers!

"He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together." -Colossians 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment