Thursday, January 15, 2015

Second Pregnancy Update: 12 Weeks

12 Weeks! Pretty sure that little bump is
just a food baby, though.
Happy Due Date, Addie. We love you, always and forever!

Fatigue: Mild to Moderate
Being back on the progesterone means that I feel a little tired most of the time again, but since my energy level is getting back to normal now, I'm not as tired as I was early on in the pregnancy. To be fair, I haven't been great lately about going to bed early. That's something I hope to change this week, and I think it will really help.

Food Aversions: None
Yes! There have been no food aversions over the last week!

Cravings: Mild?
I put a question mark, because I'm not sure if something sounding good actually counts as a craving. It's been so long since I actually wanted food, that I don't know what's normal anymore! Anyway, I watched an episode of Psych earlier in the week, and Shawn and Gus were eating tacos. Suddenly, a taco sounded great, and I wished I had one. So if it does count as a craving, it was a really mild one.

Nausea: None
Hooray! The nausea is gone too, even if I don't eat for a while.

A Few Thoughts
This has been the best week of the pregnancy so far! I wasn't stressed, I felt well, and I ate delicious barbecue with brunswick stew and black eyed peas without feeling like my stomach was trying to kill me later. Food is tasting really good again, and I'm very excited about that!

At my last OB appointment, I had a lot of blood drawn so they could run some routine tests. One thing they wanted to find out is whether or not I've ever had the chickenpox. On Tuesday, my OB's nurse called with my test results and said that everything looked normal. My iron levels were great, and they found out that I haven't had the chickenpox. I'm sure they'll discuss this further at my next appointment on February 3. One other thing they are going to discuss is my thyroid levels, which apparently came back a tiny bit low. I was told that my OB isn't concerned about it, and I shouldn't be either, so it's probably not a big deal. However, they will have to do a few more blood tests the next time I go in. I'm a researcher, so after I got off the phone with the nurse, I started googling thyroid levels in pregnancy to see what would come up. Of course there's a lot of articles that discuss the dangers of low and high thyroid levels during pregnancy, but because my OB didn't call me in or prescribe me medication, I'm not at all concerned about that. I did find out that low thyroid levels can cause preterm delivery, which made me wonder if something like that is what caused me to go into labor with Addie rather than an incompetent cervix. So far, I haven't been able to find any detailed information about the specifics of preterm delivery caused by low thyroid levels, but I do plan to ask a lot of questions when we meet with the perinatologist next Wednesday. For now, I'm just going to assume that my preterm labor with Addie was caused by an incompetent cervix. Looking back, it seems like several people asked if I had thyroid problems after everything happened with Adelyn last year, but I didn't know what the significance of that was, and I had no clue if there were issues with my thyroid (I still have no idea). We'll just have to give all of this to the Lord and trust His leading.

Late on Tuesday night, I was laying in bed on my side and thinking about what was on the agenda for Wednesday. Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted and my attention was drawn to my lower abdomen. Baby was moving! Many doctors and most of the pregnancy books will tell you that it's impossible to feel kicks or wiggles until at least your sixteenth week of pregnancy, but I now know from experience that it's possible to feel them much earlier than that! In fact, I've been certain that I felt a baby kick from time to time for several weeks now. Anyway, G had fallen asleep before all of this started happening, but I woke him up because I knew he would want to know. He put his hand on my lower abdomen to try and feel the baby, and I didn't think he would be able to because the kicks and movements were so light. Yet during one of the really strong flurries, he said he felt it too! We must have a strong baby in there, because he or she isn't more than a couple of inches long and the wiggles were very obvious! It was such a precious moment. A few minutes later, G went back to sleep, and I lay there a while longer just feeling the baby move. It was amazing, and I felt so grateful to God for this new life that He's growing inside of me. It's safe to say that I am now officially excited about this pregnancy! It was a beautiful gift also in light of the fact that today was Adelyn's original due date.

The only other thing I can think of to report is that all of my pants (even the stretchy, exercise kind) are getting tight. If I wear anything but maternity pants or loose pajama bottoms, within a few minutes my abdomen will start getting sore. It doesn't even have to be a very tight pair of pants, and they still aren't comfortable to wear! Also, I think I may be starting to show just a little bit. Nobody else would notice it except maybe for G, but I can see the difference. I am looking forward to getting my baby bump back!

No comments:

Post a Comment