Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 19 Weeks

So it begins. 

I haven't rested as well over the last few nights, partly because we got in bed late a few times after working on house projects, and partly because I kept feeling the baby move. Until now, I've only really felt him or her squirming when I laid on my stomach. Because I'm getting bigger, it's no longer easy (or comfortable) for me to lay that way. Now if I want to lay on my stomach, I have to sort of angle my belly so that I'm not putting my weight straight down on top of it. Typically, I alternate laying on my left and right side though, since that seems to be the most comfortable position to lay in now. Last night, I got up at least five times - no joke - to go to the bathroom (without drinking anything in between visits, so I don't know where all of that liquid is being stored), and the baby was very active. As frustrating as it is to not get much sleep, I wouldn't trade those baby wiggles for anything! I also felt a lot of movement when I was sitting on the couch a couple of days ago. I didn't want to get up because I could feel everything so well, and there's nothing quite like feeling your baby flip around inside of you.

My pre-pregnancy pants don't fit anymore. Well, they still fit, but they won't zip up or button at all. I did the rubber band trick for about a week before that really wasn't working for me anymore. A friend from our LifeGroup (who just had a baby a few weeks ago) let me borrow a belly band to use, and I have a pair of maternity jeans, so I shouldn't have any pant problems for a while. I also ordered two maternity maxi-skirts and a maternity swimsuit online this week. Hopefully they will fit well!

We are officially one week away from learning the sex of our sweet baby! How can it feel both like you've waited forever to find out, and also like the time has flown by? We have our names picked out (though they'll remain a secret until the baby is born), but knowing which name we'll be using is going to make all of this feel even more real. There's a baby in there - a human soul, hand-crafted by God Himself and made in His image - and they're about to have a name. A name is so significant! I don't think it's an accident that many of the people who were recorded in Scripture later became or displayed the meaning of their name, and G and I have put lots of thought into what we want to name our child.

I want to take a moment and praise my husband. On Sunday, I was very grouchy. It started when I didn't eat breakfast (it's sometimes hard to get in on Sundays because I'm getting ready for church, and I don't want to get up earlier than I have to), and then few things sounded good to me for lunch. We were going to visit the in-laws (they were having a party to celebrate my birthday), so we decided to just pick something up on the way. That wouldn't have been a problem, except we decided on a restaurant that ended up not being at any of the exits we passed! We even got off of two exits, certain that it would be close by, and we were wrong both times. After the second wrong guess, we settled on food from Wendy's (not the healthiest choice, I know, but it tasted good and we were hungry). By that time, it was 12:30, so both of us were needing to eat. We finally made it to the in-laws house, only to discover that there had been a miscommunication about what time everyone would be there! Everyone else had been there for a while, and we were the last ones to arrive. There had also been a misunderstanding about food because of the confusion over the arrival time. We thought there was only going to be cake, when in reality my mother-in-law had cooked a big, delicious lunch for everyone (which we did partake in, despite the fast-food run)! The day ended up being great, and I realized how wrong my attitude had been. My Honey was so patient and loving toward me, even when I was pouting in the passenger seat of the SUV because we couldn't find the restaurant we had decided on. He had every reason to let his attitude turn sour, and I almost wished he would have scolded me because his compassion made me feel worse about how I was acting. His positive attitude kept me from getting grouchier, and his kindness made me feel cherished and safe. He's such a wonderful husband, and it's such a privilege to be his wife.

On our way home, we met my parents for dinner and picked up the crib from their house. We had to take it out of the box to make it fit in the back of the SUV, but we got it home safely. It's absolutely perfect, and there wasn't a single scratch or dent on it! Of course we had to set it up right away (which is one of the projects I mentioned previously that kept us up late), and I couldn't get over how beautiful it is or how perfect it will be in the nursery. The real challenge will be keeping the baby from biting on it as they get bigger, which is why I added rail guards to the registry yesterday.

Here is our newly assembled crib! It's sitting in this room
(which is not the nursery) until we are able to move downstairs
to the master bedroom. The paint color on the wall that you can see
 here is also the color we plan to use in the nursery.

Last night, we met with our LifeGroup and had dinner together. We picked out a study to do for the new season, and were able to catch up on everyone's lives. This time around, we're doing Andy Stanley's iMarriage (you can watch it on YouTube here). G and I did it when we were going through premarital counseling, and I cannot say enough about how wonderful it was! I still think back to what I learned two years ago, and we were hoping for a chance to go through it again. Anyway, one of the couples had a new baby, and I got to hold her a few times. She was so sweet and beautiful, and it made me think about our baby and what he or she will be like. Hubby and I have daydreamed many times about what their eye and hair color will be, who they'll look like, and what kind of personality they will have. It's so neat to think that God already knows what our child will look like and who they will become. I'm excited to find out for myself very soon!

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward." -Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment