Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 16 Weeks

It's so weird to think that in four weeks from today, I'll be half-way through this pregnancy (and we'll hopefully know the sex of the baby)! There isn't a whole lot to report in this post, because not much has changed from last week. I did start registering for baby things at Target and BabiesRUs, though. My friends and family have offered very helpful ideas on what to register for. Honestly, G and I are minimalists, and I don't believe half of the stuff out there is actually needed for babies. So whether we get much of what we register for at baby showers or not, I think we'll be okay.

It could be my imagination (or wishful thinking), but my belly seems noticably bigger every day. I'm not even that large yet, and I have already caught myself sitting and standing more slowly, and holding my stomach when I move from one place to another. I looked down at my toes yesterday, and noticed a very obvious bump sticking out. Before long, I won't be able to see my toes at all! Hubby even notices that my stomach is growing, though he doesn't mind at all. He actually thinks it's cute (hurray for me)! The skin around my lower abdomen has started feeling a little uncomfortable. To borrow a line from Bilbo Baggins, it feels "like butter scraped over too much bread." Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. My stomach does feel tight sometimes, though!

I still haven't gained back the five or so pounds that I lost because of food aversions in the first trimester, but I'm hoping to see some improvement soon. My appetite has definitely picked up, and I'm able to eat larger portions at most meals. Last week, I discovered Annie's Organic Gummy Bunnies at Kroger. They are really good. Although I've probably eaten more of them than is necessary, I think I've done pretty well considering that gummies were my favorite junk food as a teenager. Seriously, I used to down a massive family size box of Welch's Fruit Snacks in a week or so. I won't embarrass myself by revealing how many packs come in that particular box (I know. You're going to have to look it up, aren't you?).

My water intake wasn't great last week, so I'm going to try and drink more this week. I did drink a lot, just not much water. It just didn't taste good to me, so I drank almond milk, apple juice, or hot pregnancy tea most of the time. As far as exercise goes, I still haven't established a regular routine. G and I have been walking around our neighborhood several times a week, and the midwife said I only need about 120 minutes of activity a week (which is very easy to get in), but I want to do as much as I can to get oxygen to the baby. A sweet friend from my small group brought me a devotional and a pregnancy workout DVD, and I'm looking forward to trying that out.

BabyCenter sends me email updates every week about what this next week of pregnancy could hold for me, and how my baby is developing. This week, the email mentioned that I could start feeling movements from the baby this week - although it's likely I won't feel anything until week 20 since this is my first pregnancy. I've actually felt something a couple of times that seemed different than normal gas or stomach gurgling, and it's actually broken my focus on whatever I was doing at that moment. The fact that they drew my attention so suddenly makes me think it could be the baby, but I can't be certain. It felt like one fairly strong little tap, and it's only happened twice. It will be so cool when I start feeling regular movement for sure! I'm pretty sure most of the movement I feel is just gas, though. Lots and lots of gas.


No comments:

Post a Comment